Saturday, January 3, 2015

THE DAY I FELT VALUELESS WITH MY ROBINSONS SUPERMARKET VALUE PLUS CARD






Earlier this afternoon, I did some grocery shopping at the Berkeley Square branch of Robinsons Supermarket along Commonwealth Avenue. To give you a bit of personal history, I’ve been doing most of my grocery shopping there for the last five years or so, since it is conveniently located on the south bound lane of Commonwealth where I pass by everyday on my way home.

The said supermarket is not as gargantuan as Puregold or Shopwise, but it is somewhat complete as far as my needs and preferences are concerned. Over the years, I have learned or memorized where to get the goods that I want to put in my basket or cart.

And so I went to the counter to pay for my purchase. After putting all the goods, I handed my eco bag to the cashier, followed by my Value Plus card. So here is the beginning of my story: the cashier told me that my card already expired last December 31, 2014.

I got so disappointed naturally, to the point of telling the cashier that somebody should have informed me about it (feeling VIP? no!). It pains me to think that all the points that I have accumulated over the years simply vanished into thin air, and could not be redeemed anymore.

Upon reaching home, I did some internet research about the Value Plus card. I learned that I could have done either of these two options: redeem my points, or transfer my points to another card which is the Robinsons Reward card - their new gimmick after the Value Plus card.

On one end, maybe I do have a fault because I never inquired about my points and what to do with them. As a consequence, I didn’t learn that I could have done any of the two before the end of 2014.

But here is my question: what initiatives did the Berkeley branch do to inform their customers about the expiry date? 

The management people could have informed its card holders through mail, email, text, or phone call as I  am pretty sure that they have some information about their card holders

Or, they could have utilized the cashiers to inform their customers about the expiry date of their card. I am exceedingly baffled why none of the cashiers ever mentioned something about it during the many times that I had my grocery shopping there during the months leading to December of last year. This could have been a brilliant trick.

Unfortunately, this did not cross their minds.

I may sound like a child crying over spilled milk. But my point is that it seemed to me that the management lacked any concern (malasakit) towards their loyal patrons who are holders of the Value Plus card.

My opinion is that the cashiers were in the best position to have reminded us of the expiry date, since they were the ones who swiped our cards every payment.

If you my dear readers are in my shoes at the moment, I am more than sure that you will feel the same way too: VALUELESS.

P.S.
The card did not have any expiry date whatsoever.



No comments:

Post a Comment