Saturday, April 11, 2015

Some Facts About Ariel's Commercial Jingle FINALLY






It cannot be denied that Ariel’s latest jingle “Finally” for its newest commercial is a big hit among Filipinos. It is actually just a plain commercial that features several women doing their laundry singing, yes, “Finally” alternately. 

But no matter how simple the concept, Procter and Gamble, the makers of this laundry detergent, hit a goldmine with it.

As proof, it has spawned a variety of memes and parodies that have gone viral. And this is not to mention that wittingly or unwittingly, we have included the jingle in our LSS playlist (finally Ariel happened to me…..).








Yesterday, two students in my class were joking about the jingle. And at that point I mentioned to my class the song from where the jingle was lifted from, as well as the artist. But I think my students were clueless as they weren’t around yet when the song became popular.

The first time I saw the commercial, I immediately knew the inspiration behind the jingle – CeCe Peniston’s song entitled Finally. How did I know? I was in high school then when it was released and became popular, and even did have a cassette tape of it (but I bought it because of another song).






Here are some facts about the song, courtesy of the ever reliable Wikipedia:

- the single was released in 1991
- from the album Finally released in January 28, 1992 by A&M Records
- topped the U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Music Club Play chart on
  October 26, 1991, peaked eventually at number five on the
  Billboard Hot 100 and at number two in the UK Singles Chart
- lyrics by Cecilia Peniston
- music by Felipe Delgado and Elbert Lee Linnear


And to conclude this article, here is a video of Cece Peniston's Finally










No comments:

Post a Comment