Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Trapper Keeper Generation




My very first Trapper Keeper looked like this, with a fine white checkered pattern





What Trapper Keeper generation?

I do belong to this generation. For the younger set, I know that you are not familiar with it. But for my contemporaries, I am more than certain that you do know what I am talking about. 

Are you now excited?

The Trapper Keeper reminds me so much of my youth. It is a loose-leaf binder manufactured by Mead. It consisted of sliding plastic rings, where folders and fillers can be inserted or attached to. It also had a wrap around flap with a Velcro fastener.




I can still remember where I bought my first ever – at Regina’s in Shoppesville, Greenhills.

The first time I saw a Trapper Keeper was inside an Ikot jeep, where I saw a fellow passenger, a college student I presume, with yes, a Trapper Keeper. Straight away, I fell in love with it. I can still vividly remember that it was color brown and white with a somewhat stone marble design.

But the problem was I didn’t know where to get it. I saw a classmate with one (with a different design), and learned that she got it abroad or was sent to her from abroad. 

Oh no! But it didn’t dim my hopes of having one. 



  I had these designs too!



One thing led to another and then I learned that Regina’s had those Trapper Keepers. Either somebody told me about it or I accidentally stumbled on them there.

And so finally I had one for myself. Thanks to Regina’s for bringing it to our local shores that time. Later on, the Trapper Keeper found its way on the shelves of National Bookstore. Even Miranda Bookstore at the UP Shopping Center had it.

Modesty aside, I think I was among the first few people in our school to have a Trapper Keeper (naks!).

And so I got another one, another, and then another one (which caught the ire of my Dad I think for having one too many).

And you my dear readers, do you belong to the Trapper Keeper generation as well? 

Which one below did you have?









































No comments:

Post a Comment