Friday, April 22, 2011

39th Commencement Exercises of World Citi Colleges, April 15, 2011 (by JTF Solivar)


L-R: BSN graduates JP, Aika, Jomon, Argel, Dan, Regine, Riza (photo by JAVES CONSUL)
           Graduation is always memorable. College graduation most especially, since this is the culminating point in a student’s rise to the educational ladder. It is an occasion that makes parents of graduates beam with pride. It is a liberating moment for students as they realize that they have made it, and don’t have to worry anymore about difficult exams and hard-to-deal-with instructors. A liberating moment as well for parents, since they no longer have to worry about tuition fee and allowances. After graduation, graduates and their parents nurture that feeling of relief and satisfaction, and a sense of achievement more than anything else.  As what Ms. Shamcey Supsup (Bb. Pilipinas-Universe 2011) said, education is something that can never be taken away from you. What a super thought.

          The year was 1998 when I graduated from college with Latin honors (cum laude), with a degree in Philosophy. I attended two graduation rites: first was the college graduation at the Bahay ng Alumni, and second was the university-wide graduation at the UP Amphitheater, which I thought would take forever since there were thousands of us to receive our diploma. It would have been an almost perfect year for me if not for my Dad’s hemorrhagic stroke that claimed half of his body. This happened at a time when I was very much into my thesis writing several weeks before my graduation.  But God gave me the strength to finish it and prepare for my graduation despite all the worries and anxieties brought about by my Dad’s condition.  It was only my Mom who attended my graduation, plus two cousins to give us support. But nevertheless, I was very happy and excited, and never allowed to let an unfortunate event get the better of me and spoil the occasion. It’s my graduation!

UP Diliman Amphitheater (photo courtesy of todaimitaka.blogspot.com)
          Fast forward to April 15 of 2011 and it was graduation day again, this time at Crossroad 77 for the 39th commencement exercises of World Citi Colleges. On the eve of the graduation, we were at the venue to supervise the arrangement of the stage and the entire convenarium, from the flowers to the arrangement of chairs. For the past years, my department, the College of Arts and Sciences, has always been at the helm of doing the physical arrangement - something that we have mastered already over the years. I am always excited to go the venue on the eve of the graduation. Maybe because I am a night person and enjoy city lights to the hilt. Or maybe because going to Crossroad 77 gives me a chance to make a side trip to nearby Crossings Department Store where I buy some of my stuff. Hitting two birds with one stone? Now you know where I buy some of my stripes and checkerds. 

CROSSINGS Department Store at Quezon Avenue (photo courtesy of skyscrapercity.com)
          The year 2003 was my first time to attend the graduation rites of WCC. In that year, it was held at the AFP Theater. But in 2004, WCC has found a new home at Crossroad 77 and never scouted for any other venue since then.

CRROSSROAD 77, Mother Ignacia St., Quezon City (photo courtesy of panoramio.com)
          During graduation rites, I always wanted to show my students my warmest and sincerest congratulations by extending my hand to them, to shake their hands of course. But this is something that I have rarely done in the past since I was always on the stage either as the master of ceremony, or the one handing the diploma. But last April 15, 2011 was different. I was seated with the faculty members on the left wing of the convenarium facing the stage. It was a breathtaking view I thought. I was very relaxed, unlike when I am on the stage since you have this feeling that all the spectators are watching you. I was seated comfortably along the aisle where students would pass through going to their respective seats after having received their diploma. A perfect spot where I can congratulate them and reach for their hands. 

Regine Requiestas, BSN, receiving the loyalty medal form AVP Dr. Cesar C. Eustaquio (L) and Registrar William Q. Estaño (R) (photo by JAVES CONSUL)
          Some were quite surprised that I extended my hand to them. Maybe because they did not expect it.  Maybe because they were still in a daze after receiving their diploma on stage. Maybe because they were disoriented by the bright lights and camera flash. Maybe because they were too overwhelmed by the occasion and they could not quite grasp everything that was happening around them. Or their killer heels bothered them? Whatever the reasons were, I know that my simple gesture made them happy.

L-R: Dean Francis T. Tajanlangit, Vice President Raymond Patrick V. Guico, and Jomon Macatiag, BSN (photo by JAVES CONSUL)
          I have to be honest though, that during my first semester at WCC, students perceived me to be unapproachable, intimidating, and as cold as Antarctic ice sheets. But I have melted in the subsequent semesters, and have warmed their hearts, as they have warmed mine.

The author with BSN students (photo by JAVES CONSUL)
           Congratulations to our Registrar, Mr. William Estaño for a job well done as this year’s over-all Chairman of the Graduation Committee, and to our director Mr. Sherwin Villegas and masters of ceremony Ms. Cris Onsaga and Mr. Patrick Arandia for a very orderly program. I would also like to thank my fellow members in the Physical Arrangement Committee: Ms. Delfina Gacula, Ms. Precie Tapero, Kuya Roldan, Kuya Jom, Mang Steve, and two HRM students Daryll Reyes and Monette Espinas. Thank you also to the school management for the usual support.

Ma'am Gacula (photo by JAVES CONSUL)

Sir William, Sir Sherwin, and Ma'am Cris (photo by JAVES CONSUL)

Ma'am Precie (photo by JAVES CONSUL)
          To all the graduates, my warmest and sincerest congratulations. If only I can extend my hand to each and every one of you. : )

Finally!!! (photo by JAVES CONSUL)

..........and a bonus hug! (photo by JAVES CONSUL)

 "DO NOT GO WHERE THE PATH MAY LEAD, GO INSTEAD WHERE THERE IS NO PATH AND LEAVE A TRAIL."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations to all the graduates! To the members of the graduation committee, physical arrangement committee, etc, your efforts in making this occasion a success is truly remarkable! Congratulations and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Reading your blog brought me to the year 2004 when I first attended the graduation rites of WCC. Images in my mind are still very clear... you were the master of ceremonies that time. Remember Shadi Al-Hassan? He sent me a text message just this week saying that he finally graduted last week. I am also elated every time I hear that my former students have graduated. Congrats to WCC and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I mean graduated not graduted. LOL! By the way, glad to see Precy in one of your pictures. How is she now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'll be subscribing to this net-novela..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emz. Talagang English prof ka ha baka maubusan ako ng ingles! He he. Let me wipe my nose. Precie is doing fine. Sa DSA na siya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir Tristan (My Philosophy Professor)!!! Ma'am Emy (My English Professor)!!! I finally graduated!!! I dedicate my graduation to the both of you and the rest of my Professors who are my first mentors in college and who helped build my character and personality when I still was in WCC. I'm proud to tell you, I made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tris, sobra ka naman... e kasi english ka ng english kaya ganun din ako. LOL! I adjust kasi sa mga kausap ko... wag lang Chinese... di ako mrunong mag mandarin or fookien. haha! Btw, what is DSA?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shadi, wow! Glad to talk to you here. Let's meet again, what do u think? Ask sir tristan if he wants to go out with us! hehe... COngrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nako sir, bat wala yung picture natin diyan?? hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my..inggit ako sa kayakap ni sir..hahah joke lng!..di bale ma huhug ko din c sir pag gradweyt ko..diba sir?..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zits! Wala nga pic natin kasi di mo ako binigyan he he he!

    ReplyDelete
  12. April hayaan mo pag graduate mo kahit magpagulong-gulong pa tayo sa Crossroad ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sir, ipapaframe ko picture natin! Papagawan ko din ng wallet size! HAHAHA! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sige lang Regine kung ano ikaliligaya mo he he

    ReplyDelete
  15. sir...... hehehe miss ko na kayo... Ingat kayo palagi, nakakatuwa basahin mga blogs mo interesting and funny yung iba. keep it coming!!! love reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow. ang swerte naman ni regine sir. dapat pla hinanap ko din kayo nung graduation :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello sir tristan! How are you? Im on call and your blog is keeping me awake..flashbacks of wcc days.. Nice to bump into you here on fb..i hope everythings fine. Hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete