Friday, January 16, 2015

A Total Stranger and My 100 Pesos






Last Saturday, my colleagues and I decided to take our lunch at the nearby Super Metro. We were at the basement lobby on our way to Adobo Connection, when a decent looking man with a woman in tow, called our attention. 

They appeared to be decent looking individuals, and so we were drawn to them. My initial impression was that they would like to ask us about something, most especially the guy. But looking back, what on earth will he ask us about? Anyway, we were curious (most especially me) and so we lent our ears to him.

The guy started with his narration, and went on and on with it. After a few minutes, two of my colleagues stepped aside. Perhaps, they became bored with his storytelling and were already hungry at the same time. So I was just left with one colleague beside me.

I cannot piece or gel together what he was saying, since he kept on jumping from one topic to the next. 

Or maybe I wasn’t paying attention that much, since I had to be extra alert and conscious of what was transpiring at that moment, as the fear of getting hypnotized got into me. 

He also spoke in a low voice if I may add. 

One of the first few things that he told us was that they came from Heritage Hotel. Then this was followed by his recounting of the following (in no particular order): his stint at Magsaysay Culinary School, his work as a sous chef at Princess Cruise, their search for a townhouse, his credit card line being cut off, their supposed meeting with somebody that didn’t materialize, and the police telling them the nearest bus station.

He also mentioned that they first went to or stayed at 711 inside our campus from where they saw us, and that they followed us to Super Metro.

To cut his litany as it was already taking too much of our time, I asked him what can we do to help, although I already had an inkling as to what he was up to. He mentioned that they need I think around 680 pesos in order for him and his wife to travel back to Bataan, and that they only had 120 pesos. 

The guy sounded sincere enough and even turned a bit emotional at one point. At another point, he even mentioned that they are professionals. And to prove that they were not fooling us, he suggested that we take a look at his Facebook account. 

And so I got my wallet and took out 100 pesos, and handed it to him and told him that that amount will go a long way (no matter how small the amount). You don’t just give 100 pesos to a total stranger, right?

I thought that was the end of our saga. 

Lo and behold, he pleaded if I could give them 680 pesos instead. At that point, my colleague and I bid them good bye and proceeded to our other colleagues waiting for us.

I just hope that by now, they are already in Bataan, with the help of my 100 pesos.




1 comment:

  1. Yup madaming kinds ang budol budol. Alam mo yung sa Astoria na time share? Parang soshal budol budol din yon. Unfortunately pinatulan din namin and it cost us 20k. Anyway, isipin mo na lang na you had good intentions in giving them that 100 pesos. Whether naloko ka or hindi, good karma mo pa rin yan ;)

    ReplyDelete