Monday, February 18, 2013

I Wish I Was Invisible On My Birthday.......





       Nobody has the power to stop the passing of time. Consequentially, nobody has the power as well to prevent us from getting old. Last February seven was the culmination of a year that has been added to my existence, and the start of another that will hopefully culminate on the same date next year. My age? Please don’t bother in figuring it out since it won’t earn you a single centavo. Next question please.

        Many moons ago, I used to be excited whenever my birthday was fast approaching. It meant to me a time to gather my friends and celebrate. I usually make a big fuss out of it. But as I was getting older, the excitement depreciated, maybe because of the thought and hard biting reality that I am getting old. This is not to mention a tragedy in our family that coincided with my birthday, my Tito Joe’s death in 2003. This year, I realized too that I am beginning to shun the limelight. A few days before my birthday, the thought of becoming the center of attention on “my day” makes me quite uncomfortable.  I used to bask under the limelight, enjoying the attention and greetings I get from well-meaning people when it is my birthday. But this time it is different. If only I could be invisible last February seven, in order to recoil from everybody’s attention and enjoy anonymity.

         I had a great day nonetheless, despite the stress from all the “attention”. By the way, I also got stressed out in thinking of what food to serve as my treat for all my well-wishers.  I wanted to veer away from the traditional pancit. Hence, we had pasta for lunch and pizza for merienda. Any birthday celebration will not be complete without a birthday cake. For this, I have to thank the three wonderful ladies in my office - Ate Cynthia, Ate Rose, and Ate Tess for my humble cake.

         My sincerest thanks to all those who remembered me on my day of birth. Above all, I thank my parents and our God for this life that I have.

~oOo~

No comments:

Post a Comment