Saturday, December 10, 2011

A L O N E.......

         Last weekend, the guest priest in our parish mentioned during his sermon something that awakened my hibernating philosophical cells – BEING ALONE IS A MARK OF HUMAN EXISTENCE. I was intrigued by this, which kept me wide-eyed and awake the entire mass. Sadly though, the priest was not really able to elaborate on his intriguing statement, for his sermon made many side trips that even included the road to KC-Piolo saga. Well I think there is a connection, since both KC and Piolo are “alone” now. On a positive note, the aforesaid statement gave me something to write about. Hence, this second blog entry for December.

        I cannot fully grasp what he meant by it. Not only this, but I think it is also an unfair statement. What is the purpose of our existence if each one of us will just be alone, without the company of others? First, we were simply thrown into this world without our knowledge, so it is unreasonable if we will just be, yes, alone. This is absolutely unjust. Second, is it not the case that man is a social animal? Man learns countless things through a process we call socialization. Thus, being alone will not make us survive. And yet, being alone is translated as human existence. And lastly, what is the delight of this gift we call life, if we will just be alone and not commune with others? Are we severing the idea that NO MAN IS AN ISLAND? Should we delete camaraderie from the dictionary?
  
        On second thought, I think I am being too literal with our guest priest’s intriguing avowal. Oh yes I am. I just hope that in due time, I will be able to grasp what he meant by it. Hopefully, while I am still alive, and yes, ALONE…….

"I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude."  
HENRY DAVID THOREAU

"All of our unhappiness comes from our inability to be alone." 
JEAN DE LA BRUYERE 

"In solitude the mind gains strength and learns to lean upon itself."  
LAURENCE STERNE
      

3 comments:

  1. In solitude not only the mind gains strength but also the heart gains strength because this is the only way we can demolish any noise, on the other hand when you are alone you feel emptiness which you like to fill it with others and thats the time you feel like someone calling you outside,So as priest mentioned "BEING ALONE IS A MARK OF HUMAN EXISTENCE."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said Maryam. Thanks for your very interesting comment. :)

    ReplyDelete