Monday, December 5, 2011

Pleasure, According to Bianca Gonzalez and Mikael Daez

         
"PLEASURE IS THE OBJECT, DUTY & THE GOAL OF ALL RATIONAL CREATURES." - Voltaire
   
      
What gives you pleasure?

        Every sentient being, which includes man of course, has the capacity to feel pleasure and pain. Between the two, it cannot be argued that the former is more preferable. Yes, we are pleasure seekers, and who isn’t?  Sadly though, our senses are not selective, in a way that it is beyond our capacity to choose which kind of sensation to feel. In other words, our ability to feel does not exempt us from experiencing pain.  As sentient beings, we should experience all kinds of sensations, and unfortunately, that includes pain.

Bianca Gonzalez

        

        Not many people have an intimation that pleasure is actually a moral norm, and this idea dates back to the time of the early Greeks. As a moral norm, any action that gives pleasure, therefore, is good (Hedonism). But what I find pleasurable does not necessarily mean that it is the same for others. Hence, this makes the concept of pleasure a highly subjective one. So you find pleasure in puffing a cigarette? Well, not my cup of tea.  I asked model and host Bianca Gonzales as to what gives her pleasure: 





“What gives me pleasure is knowing at the end of the day that I made the most out of it, that at work I got to use my talents/knowledge fully, but then I make sure I also make time for family and friends. There has to be a balance. Traveling gives me great pleasure too. So do Mcdo float and fries.”

     


        Bianca’s answer gives us a variety of insights on what pleasure is. First, it could mean fulfillment-got to use my talents/knowledge fully. Second, it could mean passion for something-traveling. And lastly, it could simply mean something that delights our taste buds-Mcdo float and fries. I also asked model and actor Mikael Daez the same question:



“In terms of pleasure being any stimulus that feels gratifying or gives me "good vibes," then my natural high would probably come from driving. As I grew up, my fascination for cars steadily intensified. Eventually, when I finally learned how to drive, I am sure that it is something I would continually enjoy. The sense of speed, excitement and the rush of adrenaline are always pleasurable for me. Another activity that I find pleasure in doing is playing ball. Basketball is my first love and I will forever hold it to that title. Like driving, the rush that I get from being on the court, playing with different people and developing my game is, for me, pleasurable.”



Mikael Daez

        The pleasure that Mikael derives from his passions-driving and basketball, could also be construed as a form of fulfillment. Hence, from the brands of pleasure of these two celebrities, we can surmise that pleasure transcends the senses, for it could also be defined as a form of fulfillment. Pleasure is not merely physical satisfaction. If there is pleasure, could pain be far behind? Mikael’s answer, if you will read in between the lines, seems to incorporate an amount of “pain.” I am sure that he has experienced a few mishaps in driving and playing basketball. But I am more than certain that his passion for them did not waiver despite those (mishaps). The element of pain, I believe, further intensifies pleasure. As the saying goes, no pain, no gain





         Every individual has his or her own brand of pleasure. There are even those who derive pleasure from pain like getting a tattoo for example. Pleasure is either tangible, like getting a massage or eating one’s favorite food (yes, like Bianca’s Mcdo goodies), or intangible, like the fulfillment we get from indulging in our endeavors or favorite activities (yes, like the highs that Mikael obtains from driving). Pleasure could also be long-term, such as being proud of our achievements in life, or short-term or fleeting, like the immediate gratification we derive from finishing a meal, for you will be hungry again after a few hours, right?



        Life is too short, and we only have one life to live. So go ahead, do what gives you pleasure. As what the philosopher Voltaire said, pleasure is the object, duty and the goal of all rational creatures.



Postcript:
Thank you Bianca and Mikael! It was a pleasure to have worked with you both in creating this blog entry. God bless.                                                                                     - JTFS



1 comment:

  1. having a good laugh is my pleasure, coz laughter is the greatest cure of all. Life is extraordinary in the moments when you are laughing so hard you can barely breathe. These moments of deep laughter are divine in the sense that they cleanse your mood and set your mind on a positive track.. :D

    ReplyDelete