Monday, August 31, 2015

Elha Nympha : The Birit Factor























I will go straight to the point: in any singing competition, it is always the birit factor that counts. I am not saying though, that one who has tremendous vocal and lung power will be the one to emerge as champion.

But let’s face it - admit it or not, a contestant whether female or male who can make birit already possesses an edge over the others. And such is more than enough to get the attention of the judges, and most especially the spectators.

I chanced upon the finals of The Voice Kids last Saturday night. I am not a fan but was curious as to which contestant the people will vote for for. So I pressed number eight on our remote, just in time for the performance of the kiddie female contestant who sang Ikaw ang Lahat Sa Akin. Being one of my favorite songs of all time, I was glued instantly.

As her voice went higher and higher, I realized that the arrangement of the song was similar to that of Regine Velasquez’s rendition of the song. And the young lady nailed it I must say, the birits and all.

I later on learned that she is Elha Nympha, who eventually emerged as the grand champion.

So who started the birit trend among our current crop of singers? It must be Regine Velasquez I guess. When she entered the music scene, she somehow raised the bar as far as singing is concerned with her signature birit style of singing, thereby altering the landscape of our music entertainment industry. And consequently, she has become the template of the singers that emerged after her.

Of course, doing the birit will not necessarily make one a better singer. But I guess it is what people want. They don’t just want to listen - they want to be entertained as well.

And so I guess the birit is here to stay.




No comments:

Post a Comment