Sunday, June 5, 2011

Prof. REYNALDO EBREO YAGO

          


        Prof. Yago celebrated his 78th birthday last May 12, 2011, his exact date of birth. Unquestionably, it is a milestone for any person to reach such age. And Sir Yago does not look it! With his energy and sense of humor, you would not think that his age starts with a “7”.


  




Prof. R.E.Y. with WCC colleagues
        Sir Yago was born on May 12, 1933 at Tayabas, Quezon. Not too many people know that Sir Yago is an only child. He would tell us how strict his parents were, most especially his mother. Well that cannot be avoided. He is the only child that they have. I should know. We are on the same boat! Though my parents are not really that strict.

Prof. R.E.Y. with WCC colleagues
        Sir Yago is married to Ma'am Cirila Yago, and they have four wonderful children. All well accomplished in their respective fields. Ma’am Cirila is a teacher as well, though she has retired many moons ago. How do I know? She was my Filipino teacher in high school!


Prof. R.E.Y. with WCC colleagues
        Sir Yago has been teaching in our institution since 1993. That’s eighteen years of dedicated service to the WCC community! And eighteen years of imparting valuable knowledge to his students. Sir Yago is perceived to be a strict teacher. But any teacher should be strict, right? Mention BIOLOGY and STS to students and the first name that would pop in their heads would be the name YAGO! Obviously, Sir Yago’s name  is synonymous to Biology and STS. When enrolling in these  subjects, students already have an inkling that Sir Yago will be their teacher. This is not to mention Anatomy and Physiology, Histology, Physiology, and the list goes on…

Prof. R.E.Y. with WCC colleagues
        Sir Yago’s teaching methodology is a combination of his past teaching experiences in various schools: Adamson University (1964-1966), University of the Philippines, Diliman (1970-1983), De La Salle University (1980), and Ateneo de Manila University (1983-1998). Wow! Aside from WCC, Sir Yago also teaches at San Carlos Seminary since 1990. He considers this his apostolate work, that’s why he always arranges his schedule so that he can teach in the said seminary.

WCC colleagues
        Sir Yago obtained his Zoology degree from UP Diliman in 1956, and his masteral degree in Education from the same university in 1983. He also studied abroad, having obtained his certificate in Geology and Micropaleontology from the University of Vienna, in Austria, in 1968. 
 
Prof. R.E.Y. with WCC colleagues
         
        Sir Yago is a recipient of various awards too. Like the Outstanding Alumni Award from UP during its centennial year celebration, and just recently, a Recognition Award from WCC during the Faculty Awards Night.

Prof. R.E.Y. with WCC colleagues
Prof. R.E.Y. with WCC colleagues




        

        Sir Yago is not just a colleague to everyone, but a friend, and a mentor as well. He is one generous soul too! All of us can vouch for this. Sir pa ice cream ka naman!






        Either you love Sir Yago or you don’t. But one thing is for sure: Sir Yago has made a lasting imprint on you. Right students? Tumindig ka!
       
nursing students singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you...
 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIR YAGO! 








(photos provided by
Bb. Precie Tapero)

20 comments:

  1. I love YAGO! (anticipating his answer... "I will continue to love you more and more!") Only child pala kayong 2... hmmm, I'm in a different boat! He!He!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an honor to have shared interesting conversations with this great man! It was an opportunity indeed! Got so many words of wisdom and unsolicited advices from him plus...those jokes! Ha!Ha! Strong green jokes, he!he!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I super LOOOVE sir Yago!!!
    Bealated Happy 78th birthday Sir! :-)
    --- getting older but looking sexier I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hay... I just love making Sir Yago so happy whenever I keep telling him that I can still remember his lessons in Micro-Para... Aba, memoryado ko ata yan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. birthday pala ni sir yago, punta kami "Fukishima" hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir Yago is my uncle's colleague at the University of the Philippines. I actually saw him at the wake of my uncle a few years ago but I didnt have the courage to approach him. Glad to see his pictures here in your blog. When I see him I remember and I suddenly miss my uncle whom I call Papa. Maybe you would want to tell him, im Dr.Perfecto Abayan's niece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure Emz will tell Sir Yago about your uncle. I am sure he will remember Dr. Abayan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grabe!!! dami ko nalaman about sir yago... for 4x i was his student but i never passed and i promised my self not to enroll his subj. until he retires but it never happened, graduate na ako sa wakas!!! andyan ka pa rin sir yago PROUD OF YOU!!!! now isa ka na sa idol prof ko sir yago, pero sir tristan ikaw parin ang number 1 hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) ay grabe naalala ko...sinyawan p nmin si sir ng pearly shell kasi he let us took his exam late...bait nia super...

    sir tristan tlgang ntakpan pa ako dun sa picture..haha kami yung kumnta ng happy birthday..:D haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sir Yago is one of my few favorite professors in college. He's really best in what he do. He teaches with passion. You really have to study in his subjects because he don't give considerations and that's what I love about him. Walang awa awa. Because of his strictness, I really studied in my anatomy and physiology subject, and after 2 years all my hard work paid off.. Mataas ang grade ko sa ANAPHYSIO subject sa board exam. Kudos to him! If he's not strict, I bet my grade is just average. He even inspired me to pursue med school which I'm still figuring out kung ipupursue ko talaga :) Sir Yago is one of the best, isipin mo na lang he's already 78 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi tristan, is Sir Yago still connected with WCC? I would like sana to visit him. He's my favorite prof back in college days. :) Thanks for your blog. Creative composition:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for appreciating this post! Yes Sir Yago is still with WCC. Turning 80 this May! :)

      Delete
  12. Student 1: Sir Yago prof mo? Drop mo na habang maaga pa
    Student 2: Wag, cool na sya ngayon!
    Me: (tinidig lang) 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will miss you bad sir
    Thank you �� so much sir
    Our future is bright
    Condolences to the family
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will not forget you Ama.I know u are happy now with the Lord.Pag lagi kitang kasama walang sad moment.Rejoice with the Lord Ama.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will not forget you Ama.I know u are happy now with the Lord.Pag lagi kitang kasama walang sad moment.Rejoice with the Lord Ama.

    ReplyDelete
  18. kahit na dalawang beses kong inulit ung microbio, at least naging teacher ko to. ung tipong hindi ka taga wcc pag di mo siya naging prof. my condolences to the fam.

    ReplyDelete