Friday, May 13, 2011

B E A U T I F U L !

Abby Carabido (photo by Javes Consul)
        
        Beautiful is one of the most used words in the English language. We use it to describe a person, an object, a place, or just about anything that enthralls us. The concept of beauty has intrigued many a man including some great philosophers from before. It has mesmerized us, to the extent that we associate it with the good and true. Hence, it completes the triumvirate of the true, the good, and the beautiful.

        What makes a person beautiful? When I ask my students this question, the usual answers thrown at me are the following: nice, kind, with pleasing personality, and all other answers with sugar coatings. Very safe answers I must say! But such responses do not jibe with the query. Did I ask them about a person’s attitude?

Question:   Maganda ba GF mo?            
Answer:     Ay napakabait niya!

Question:   Guwapo ba BF niya?          
Answer:     Ay sobrang galang!

Can we not answer with either a yes or no?



photo by Javes Consul



          
Hermann Weber (photo by Javes Consul)

        Physical appearance is the first thing that we notice when we cross paths with any individual. How can we say that that person is the nicest when we do not know that person yet? Hence, any discussion about beauty should start from an individual’s physical facade before we make any pronouncement about his or her so called “inner beauty”. We cannot deny the fact though, that having a first-rate character adds up to one’s beauty or handsomeness. It is an enhancement that cannot be provided by any cosmetic procedure. 
Kristine Mayshle (photo by Javes Consul)
      


  Beauty is subjective, and this I inculcate into the minds of my students. Each person has his or her own criteria of judging what is beautiful and otherwise. What about intelligence? Intelligence has its own ambit or sphere, and should not interweave with beauty. These two have their own domains if I may emphasize. But if we can have both, why not!





Bea Wisco (photo by Javes Consul)
         But beauty has to be appreciated purely on its own. Forget about other things and just focus on beauty itself. When I am entranced by a beautiful painting, it really doesn’t matter to me whether it is oil or watercolor, expensive or affordable, etc. If I find it beautiful, then it is beautiful. Period. When I am charmed by a cute dog, it is not an issue with me whether it’s purebred or a mutt. If something is beautiful, then it simply is. End of discussion. If I find a person beautiful or handsome, then that’s it. No ifs and buts.


Jez Nadonza (photo by Javes Consul)

LA Andres (photo by Javes Consul)
      


        Beauty fades as Father Time chases us. But the beauty of one’s character does not. In fact, it glows as time passes by. God will judge not our physical appearance, but our character. Beauty or character? Take your pick.

        Do not ask me if you are beautiful or handsome. Ask your mom and her answer will surely delight you. Or go get yourself a mirror and let it crack before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment