Wednesday, February 29, 2012

SIGNATURE SCENT

        
        During one of our Sunday family lunches at home, I heard an aunt mentioning, in my own words, that it is not a bright idea to give perfume as a present. I think she also mentioned the brand of perfume that she uses or prefers. This instantly gave me an idea or a topic to write about for this humble blog. Unfortunately, it took me this long to make an article about it. Now that I am quite running out of topics, I suddenly remembered this topic which I temporarily shelved.


        People have their signature scent. This stems from the fact that we all have our favorite brands of items or commodities. I am one person who will never start the day without dabbing on myself my favorite scent. Do I have a signature scent? There is none actually. Though I can say that my latest or most recent purchase of bottle usually becomes my signature scent, until such time that I am already tired of it. There are times when I switch scents. For special occasions, I currently rely on my Burberry Summer, given to me as pasalubong from abroad (thanks Omid Irankhah!). For everyday use, I have my bottles bought from Ate Bebs, our ever reliable direct selling agent who frequents my office. Recently I have also been using Guess Suede also given by another generous soul (thanks Tim de Leon!).
        
        I must say that I grew up on scents – and my all time favorites are Bulgari (Black and Bulgari Pour Homme), Clinique (Happy), Liz Claiborne (Curve) and Carolina Herrera. I also had ang walang kamatayang Cool Water by Davidoff. This is not to mention though that I did not try other brands. And do you know what is the nicest thing about them? They were all given to me as presents or tokens! If my memory serves me right, the last high end bottle that I purchased myself was approximately five years ago, Muschio Bianco by Acca Kappa, which I learned from the Oprah Winfrey. I loved its fresh and amoy pulbo scent. So you see, majority, if not all of my expensive scents, were given to me by generous people. What about now that I am earning my own keep? The more that I stay away from expensive ones. An inverse correlation you might say.

        There are some people though, who are not really into this kind of stuff. I asked model, actor, and fellow blogger Mikael Daez as to what his signature scent is:

Mikael Daez

"I'm not completely into fragrances. I can barely tell some colognes apart to be honest. But, from the various colognes I've used, I have to say that my favorites have been Polo Sport (the one in the blue bottle) and Diesel Fuel for Life, denim edition. They smell very sporty and rugged. I'm not into the old smelling or strong scented kinds. Trying to keep things fresh and cool."




Diesel and Ralph Lauren


Abbygale Arenas-De Leon
        
So, Mikael may not be that passionate about fragrances, but lists Diesel and Polo Sport as his favorites. For Ms. Abbygale Arenas de Leon, beauty queen (Miss Photogenic at the 1997 Miss Universe), supermodel, professional image consultant, and wife of ace photographer Jun de Leon, her signature scent is Beautiful by Estee Lauder. Coincidence or not, her perfume brand is her mirror image - yes, beautiful!



Beautiful by Estee Lauder

Princess Charlotte Chua





For professional hair and make up artist Princess Charlotte Chua, it's Bulgari's Omnia, which comes in four different variants. How nice to have a stylist who smells Bulgariffic!







Bulgari Omnia: red, green jade, amethyste, and crystalline (clockwise)


Jeffrey Pelayo



Jeffrey Pelayo, Chief Operating Officer of Wetlands Candaba, and owner of other businesses, mentions Jo Malone and Hermes Un Jardin as his signature scents. I am not really very familiar with Jo Malone. But knowing Jeff who is my brand icon, it must be a good label. Of course, everybody knows Hermes.





Jo Malone and Hermes Un Jardin

Kenzo Flower and DKNY Be Delicious Green

Not to be outdone is double degree holder (Computer Science and Nursing) Arfel Michelle Bacera, who swears by Kenzo Flower and DKNY Be Delicious Green.

Arfel Michelle Bacera

"Kenzo flower is my all time favorite perfume because of its distinctive scent, an important accessory on a special day. But right now I'm using DKNY Be Delicious Green for my everyday day use. I like its scent, stays with you all day. Like what its name says, you'll be oh so delicious!"



Claire Cortez-Soon



        And finally, for Ms. Claire Cortez-Soon, designer and owner of fashion label Soon Manila, the following are her favorite fragrances: Cherry Blossom of Bath and Body Works, which she uses when she does the grocery and goes shopping, and Prada's Infusion d'Iris and Chanel's Eau Verte, which she uses for special occasions like going to church and attending parties. Claire, by the way, studied at UP Diliman and took up Clothing Technology. Yes, such a degree exists!




Chanel's Eau Verte, Cherry Bloosom of Bath and Body Works, and Prada's Infusion d'Iris

        This latest post must be my most fragrant one. In writing this article, I drew inspiration from my love affair with scents. And also, from my curiosity about what scent or fragrance people use. Thus, the title of this latest blog entry: SIGNATURE SCENT. Can you smell me now?






2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Sir Tristan for choosing me to be included in one of your beautiful blog's. I'm honored to be part of this.

    Thanks! (so... Proud!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the thing that i love most about perfumes or scents basically is that whenever you get a whiff of that scent it instantly reminds you of a certain place/date/time/person and memory..after all scent triggers our memory <3

    ReplyDelete