Sunday, March 4, 2012

WHAT REMINDS YOU OF SUMMER?

        Yesterday afternoon, on my to Robinson’s at Berkeley Square to do some grocery shopping, I noticed how sunny it was. Colors were bursting everywhere which made my surroundings come alive, courtesy of the impressive rays of the sun. While witnessing this spectacle, I came to realize that indeed, it is already summer. And yes, it has been hot as of late. So like what I have read in the papers that day – IT’S OFFICIAL: SUMMER IS HERE.
 
        Summer is the warmest season of the year. It is the perfect time for going to beaches, and going to wintry (okay this is an exaggeration) regions in our country such as Baguio and Tagaytay. But in my opinion, what usually pops into one’s mind when summer is mentioned is going to beaches or pool resorts. This is exactly what Lois Esther Año is reminded of when asked about what reminds her of summer:


Lois Esther Año, RN
"Summer always reminds me of Talim Island, a place where we’ve spent most of our childhood. We would go there every summer and enjoy the cool breeze, swim in Laguna lake (back when it was still clean and clear)....and have a picnic in our kubo in the middle of the lake."

Summer is also an opportunity for bonding with members of one’s family. Suzette Marie Bueno mentions this when asked the same question:

Suzette Marie Bueno, RN
  
“Summer reminds me of quality time with my family, time for more fun and nature getaways, time to prepare the wide brim hat against extreme heat.” 





I am not surprised anymore when she mentioned nature getaways, as she is a member of WCC Mountaineering Club. 

The summer season is commonly equated with VACATION. Everybody loves taking a break and having fun. YouTube sensation Randolph Permejo echoes this statement:

DAVAO, here comes Randolph Permejo!
"No classes, hot summer days, the beach, laziness, and just relaxation.
 Summer represents vacation to me."

UP Asian Institute of Tourism
        Summer reminds me very much of my younger years. Summer days were spent playing on the streets with my friends, going to the “oval” (track and field), biking, climbing trees, eating ice candies and halo halo bought from neighborhood tindahans, hanging out with my friends at their respective homes, and best of all, swimming at the AIT (Asian Institute of Tourism). I remember always getting excited and having that adrenaline rush in that place. It is where I finally learned how to float, then swim, courtesy of my bantay Kuya Melchor. This somehow prepared me for my formal swimming lessons at Milo Best. How I miss those young and innocent years, when all we just wanted to do was have fun. 

Get on your feet Haji!



An anti-thesis to this is Hajime Estanislao, who would rather rest during summer. Haji presents this equation:

"Summer = precious time spent resting."







        So summer is already here out to conquer us whether we like it or not. We don't have much of a choice but to embrace it - the warmth and the winds, and everything else that comes with it. Let us remind ourselves that summer should be spelled as.......F-U-N!




No comments:

Post a Comment