Sunday, October 20, 2019

In Pursuit of Happy Homes: Elle Uy


picture courtesy of Elle Uy Decor Facebook


Elle Uy - the name is easy to recall due to its monosyllabic theme. And the name “Elle” sounds very sophisticated, is it not?

Is she a supermodel? An actress? A fashion designer perhaps?

None of the above. Elle Uy is a home decorator.

Elle has a Youtube channel (with 463k subscribers and counting!), and her videos are mostly about home makeovers or renovations. I cannot remember exactly when I came across her videos. What I am sure, though, is that I chanced upon her videos only in the recent months while browsing for videos about home decorating.

As of late, I have been toying with the idea of making a write up about her, but did not really immerse my head on such thought, until I watched her latest home makeover video (Scandinavian Airbnb Makeover) which impressed me to the hilt (just like her other videos), and this gave me the green light to feature her on this humble blog.

On her website entitled Decor Me Happy Elle Uy's Pursuit of Happy Homes (www.elleuy.com), Elle introduces herself simply as a decorator. And according to realliving.com.ph, she is a Fine Arts major in Advertising graduate from UST. The website further tells that her strong background in graphic design and advertising as well as innate passion for interiors have made her a talent to be reckoned with.

Elle may not be technically an interior designer, but her talent landed her on the December 2011 issue of Real Living as the month’s makeover designer. Real Living, in case you are not familiar, is a home magazine (which I used to collect).

So Elle has been home decorating since 2011(or could even be earlier). I initially thought that she is a new kid on the block.


Ms, Elle Uy in her latest makeover project - Scandinavian Airbnb makeover (from Elle Uy Decor Facebook)


And now about her work.

Most of the videos that I have watched were about her home makeovers of small condominium units. And It amazes me how Elle is able to transform small spaces into beautiful and functional ones and how she is able to gel together or harmonize furniture and decorations of different kinds. Her creativity is undeniable, and the home decors that she uses for her projects are very trendy and unique. She really must have this innate knack for home decorating.

One may say that other decorators and interior designers can do the same things that she does, and can even do better.

So what sets her apart?

Elle appears to me as very simple and humble. In her videos, you will see her dressed simply and casually. No flashy outfits and chunky accessories, unlike some other interior designers that I have seen on TV or in magazines.

Another thing that I observed which I wish to emphasize is that there is something in her voice and in the way she talks, which makes her sound and look very down to earth and engaging (not the sosyal or pa-sosyal type in other words). And she speaks mostly in Filipino, which could be a factor as well.

To sum it up, she is so natural in her videos, with nary a hint of pretentiousness whatsoever. She appears like a friend, classmate, or neighbor talking to you, giving tips about home decorating, DIYs, etc.

So keep up the good work Ms. Elle Uy, and do continue your pursuit of happy homes.

God bless.
 




3 comments: