Saturday, November 22, 2014

On the MMDA Vendor : THE END DOES NOT JUSTIFY THE MEANS





The name of this MMDA traffic enforcer and kakanin vendor at the same time must be a household name by now, most especially after his story was featured by Ms. Jessica Soho no less, in her weekender program.

Though his intention of augmenting his family income through good means is commendable, something prevents me from being overwhelmed. 

I had the impression before that he sells kakanin while on duty, since I saw a footage that showed him selling while in uniform. But in one article that have read, he clarified that he does his business during his day off (Saturday and Sunday).

Noted.

However, in that same article, he mentioned that he peddles his goods in uniform, for the reason that he believes that no one will buy or patronize his goods if he will just be in ordinary clothes.

Now this has been my suspicion long before I came across the article. So my impression is correct all along – he uses his being in a position of authority to sell his goods.

I just don’t think that this is a good idea, since this is tantamount to forcing people to buy your wares. I will circumvent though, by saying that I have faith that he does not compel motorists and pedestrians to buy.

But why do you have to approach your would-be buyers in uniform? Now this sends a wrong signal to me, hence, this blog article. Is this not a violation – wearing uniform when you are not supposed to (and using it to conduct business)?

How about going after motorists and pedestrians in busy roads to offer your stuff, is there no violation in this?

Ok, so we choose the lesser evil here – selling instead of resorting to extortion and accepting bribes. 

But something still isn’t right. The end does not justify the means.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment