Saturday, November 23, 2013

A Surprise Call :)



I got a surprise call in my office from the guardian of one of our graduates yesterday morning. She asked me first if I still remember his nephew who used to be our Nursing student by mentioning his surname. I immediately told her that yes I do remember him. With the kind of surname that he has, it is impossible not to be able to remember him. No, it is not a bad-sounding one if that is the impression. He also used to be my student before.

To cut the story short, she purposely called to inform me that her nephew passed the NCLEX exam in the US. NCLEX stands for National Council Licensure Examination, an examination for the licensing of nurses in the US. My former student’s Aunt told me that she took the time to inform me since she recalled that it was me who certified her nephew’s credentials. My name and signature must be all over the documents for her to remember my name.  She also wanted to talk to the Dean but unfortunately it was a Saturday. 

It was just a short, simple, and direct to the point conversation. No politics and no flowery words whatsoever. It only lasted for less than a minute in my estimate but that conversation spoke a lot - sincerity, humility, gratitude, and family ties. Such a class act from my student’s Aunt, and a very tough one to follow. It is not every day that I get to receive such a call. 

A surprise call, indeed. 

Congratulations kiddo!

 The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; 
but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, 
as the magnet finds the iron, 
so it will find, in every hour, 
some heavenly blessings!  
~Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment