Saturday, January 10, 2015

On Pope Francis' Visit to the Philippines : A Friendly Reminder



photo courtesy of catholic.concordia.ca

I know for sure that all Catholics in our country are all keyed up with the upcoming visit of Pope Francis this coming week. Add to that the declaration of a three-day holiday by MalacaƱang, no less (I guess I am more excited with this one haha).

With his humble character, compassion for the poor, simple lifestyle, utmost respect for other religions, and sometimes out-of-the-box views, Pope Francis has become an instant celebrity. And here lies my apprehension.

Whether we admit this or deny to the heavens, we Filipinos are always awed by things (and people) that are foreign, more so if they are popular. Hence, our imminent guest or visitor is no exception.

I would like to re-echo what a foreign priest mentioned on TV last week. I cannot remember his exact words, but he said something like we should not get too star struck with the Pope since this could make us miss or overlook the reason for his visit – which is to deliver God’s message to us.


photo courtesy of newinfo.inquirer.net


I already had the same sentiment long before I heard the priest. I know for a fact that the hype surrounding his visit cannot ever be avoided, what with the millions of Catholics in our islands.

Some people have even become enterprising by way of their shirts, key chains, and what have you.

Being predominantly Christian, our nation is proud and grateful for Pope Francis’ visit. What a way to usher in 2015 I must stay.  

It is perfectly fine to be awed by the Pope’s presence. But at the end of the day, or at the end of his visit, we must make sure that we have fully understood God’s message to our country, and to each and everyone of us.

To my fellow Catholics out there, this is just a friendly reminder. 

God bless!




No comments:

Post a Comment