Saturday, October 27, 2012

Unhappy Dogs.......


        I have thought of writing about this one before, but simply did not have enough motivation to do so. But what pulled the trigger so to speak, was when I saw this morning a front page picture of dogs wearing Halloween costumes on a daily broadsheet we subscribe to. Honestly, I did not find it cute. I have come across a myriad of pictures of dogs in the past wearing outlandish costumes and did not find them cute either. If I were a dog, I would bite my owner if he or she will try to put a costume on me.

Uncomfortable 

        If only dogs could speak, I am sure as hell that they do not want to be wearing costumes basically because costumes (and clothes too) can be very uncomfortable for them. In the first place, God did not create dogs to wear such articles of clothing. Dog owners out there I know will tell me that the preceding statement is an overkill, and that they put on costumes on their dogs on certain occasions only and not all the time. Sure. But overkill or not, it is not in the nature of dogs to be dressed up and accessorized like dolls. One need not be a NASA scientist in order to understand this. Get yourself a doll instead.

        Imagine yourself as a dog wearing a costume. I am sure that you will agree with me that you will not be able to move freely with all those add-ons to your body – shirt, vest, skirt, veil, shoes, big ribbons, shades, headband, and all other freaky and disgusting stuff. It feels hot too, right? Your thick fur is enough to keep your body warm, so what more if there is a fabric clinging like leech on your body? Are you not feeling dizzy with all those crazy attention and camera flashes? Are you tired, hungry, and thirsty already? Do you understand what is going on? Question: what are you, a dog or a trophy?







Insensitive

        A dog wearing a costume is a picture of outright insensitivity. Outside of its owner’s fence are children who are naked, homeless, and have nothing to eat. Dog “fashion shows” and costume parties are staged amidst a society that is third world in nature. We buy a shirt for our dog but could not even donate a worn-out one to a poor kid on the street. In my opinion (and I am sure in your opinion too), owners showcasing their dogs in fancy clothes is a display of extravagance, and insensitivity to those who are in need.

        I am all for responsible pet ownership, and would not mind spending quite a fortune on my dog’s vaccines, food, and supplements. But fancy clothes will definitely not be in my checklist. Dogs don’t need them, period. 





Conclusion

        I am a dog lover myself too. I grew up with dogs around me, from askals, to cross-breeds, and to pure-breeds. We don’t have a dog right now. The last of them was a maltese-spitz which barked and wagged her tail to heaven on December of 2010, a few weeks after my Dad’s passing (I guess my Dad wanted a fluffy companion). I have had my share of mishaps in the area of responsible pet ownership. But if there is one thing that I can be proud of, is that the only thing that I put on our dogs was a leash, nothing more.




No comments:

Post a Comment