Thursday, February 18, 2016

Manny Pacquiao vs. LGBT: The Real Issue







Manny Pacquiao is in hot water these days with his opinion about same-sex marriage that sent shock waves to all corners of society. Directly hit primarily was the LGBT community, the members of which did not take the matter sitting down.


As a famous and influential person, his statement mattered. Others agreed with him, while others did not.


Now regarding this whole ruckus that erupted after Manny made public his aversion towards same-sex marriage, allow me to put my two cents in.

 
The issue I think orbits around his pronouncement that people who have engaged in it, and those who plan to do the same are of lesser value than animals (“masahol pa sa hayop”).

 
The main or real issue then is NOT his disagreement with same-sex marriage, but rather the COMPARISON that he made with animals. This was deemed derogatory most especially by the LGBT community (and even the non-LGBT community I guess).


We all have the right to express our opinion. But whatever it is that would come out of our mind through the mouth must be laced with propriety and sensitivity.

 
In other words, the right to speak must be exercised properly - think before you speak.

 
It was perfectly fine for Pacquiao to say his opinion on the topic of same-sex marriage, as we are in a democratic country anyway. However, his inclusion of the mentioned comparison was totally uncalled for. 


Because no person would want to be placed literally below the rank of animals.

 

2 comments:

  1. Here's my two cents on pacquiao.. First and foremost, i do not agree with what he said but I'll fight to the death to defend his right to say what he wants . Although he is not against lgbt's ( the person) but the sexual act or the Union of people of the same sex, he is bound to offend persons of such sexual orientations primarily because the sexual act is the most natural manifestation of love between man (or animal, for that matter) wether they be male , female, gay, lesbian, transsexual, etc.. .. marriage , on the other hand, is Man's invention to legalize such unions in the guise of legitimization but in truth is for computation purposes.. So going against any of the two would surely invite violent reactions. What this really shows is pacquiao's lack of credentials to hold public office. It's already a national tragedy that he is a sitting congressman, it would be the mother of travesties if he becomes senator ... Sadly, whatever he is or will become is a reflection of our own political immaturity, to put it mildly... Ah what the heck, it shows our stupidity as a people. So what is my point? I wish pacquiao realizes that being a congressman is already his swan song.. And that 8 world titles are more than enough contribution (from one person) to our national pride ... That we are one grateful nation but our most ardent wish is for him to retire to enjoy his millions , his royal heirs and his digitally improved wife..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cont...
    I appreciate Manny for realizing his mistake and offering an apology, yet keeping his stand.I also oppose same-sex marriage and I stand firm in my belief that it is wrong. However, I always keep in mind that Our Lord God has given each one of us free will. I personally think that I should only look to myself and God. It takes conscious, daily efforts to obey God and please Him,. In the end, it will only be between me and myGod...when I come face-to-face with Our Creator, only God has the right to judge our actions.

    ReplyDelete