Sunday, June 19, 2011

Disappointments in Life by JTF Solivar

         

        I always try my best not to disappoint people, since I know very well how it is getting disappointed. It can be very upsetting! You feel crushed and devastated when things do not turn out the way you wanted them to. Call me a people pleaser of some sort.  I simply want people around me to be happy. Sometimes, even at my own expense.

         I have gone the extra mile for people many times. And got disappointed a lot of times as well. Back in college, I helped a friend with the processing of his LOA or leave of absence. Okay I volunteered myself to do it. What are friends for? My raison d'être was how can he do it himself when he was sick, not to mention the troubles his fraternity got itself into. So off I went to all our teachers, from one building to the other, to have them sign his petition. I even paid for the processing fee! To cut the story short, he did not show any appreciation for what I have done for him and naturally I got disappointed. Well, who wouldn’t be? It seemed that all my efforts just vanished into thin air! Talk about making an investment and not earning a nickel from it. Maybe it was my fault too. With my friend’s enormously famous surname, I got intrigued how he will reciprocate. But he never did.

        I have disappointed people too. I am a big disappointment to my Mom since I did not turn out to be a religious person like her, and never worshipped the taste of vegetables. To my Dad too, since I never developed a liking for basketball, unlike him who used to be basketball varsity player of the UP Fighting Maroons. Well, I picked up a tennis racket instead. I am not that familiar with Nowitzki, but can talk the whole day about Graf and Becker. My friends also, since I usually become scarce during reunions and other special occasions. I tend to shrink when an occasion becomes too overwhelming for me. My colleagues too, since I hate travels or trips, unless I am assured of my own room and my own toilet and bath if they will have to be overnight. May they all learn to forgive me and my whims.

        The trick of the trade so as not to be disappointed is not to expect anything from people. What if our expectations are not met? What if they do not pass our standards? Over the years I have learned how not to expect anything from others. To begin with, people are not mind readers so they do not have any hunch whatsoever as to what our expectations are. If they will reciprocate, then thank you. If not, then so be it. Such is life, right? We should not be too expectant. We will be rewarded soon so don’t agonize about it. The good deeds that we have done will not be left unnoticed by the One above. What about the reverse when we are the ones who disappoint people? Well, we are not perfect and this is the customary excuse. Is there any other? Then tell me!

        Disappointments are permanent fixtures in our life book. We disappoint people, and people disappoint us. Either way, the feeling is not palatable and leaves a very bitter aftertaste. But this should not prevent us from enjoying the sweetness of life. Life is too short to fret about disappointments! 

        Disappointments however, teach us valuable lessons. First, there are things that are not simply meant to be. Amen? I have a post about this FYI. Second, there are things that are better left as they are. Amen too? Do not organize clutters on my table or I may not be able to find what I will be looking for. Consider also a potted flowering plant. Do not move it from one place to the next, as the flowers could wilt easily. Third, nobody is perfect.  Amen three? I am sure that you can explain this yourself.

        And lastly, let us bear in mind that there is a full life ahead each and every one of us. Amen four? Disappointments will always be here, there, and everywhere. But they should not deter us from enjoying life and doing things that we want. Life is too short, to be disappointed. The ball is in your hands. Your life is your own court. AMEN.

4 comments:

  1. "..so as not to be disappointed is not to expect anything from people"
    ----> i super agree with this. that's why I sometimes tend to be more of a pessimist to avoid disappointments... oh well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mukhang malalim pinanghuhugutan niyan ha Mrs. Gray. He he

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always try my best not to disappoint people, since I know very well how it is getting disappointed. It can be very upsetting! You feel crushed and devastated when things do not turn out the way you wanted them to. Call me a people pleaser of some sort. I simply want people around me to be happy. Sometimes, even at my own expense. - I LIKE THIS PART, ITS AS IF IM THE ONE UTTERING THE SAME WORDS. WE SHARE THE SAME SENTIMENTS. IM REALLY EXASPERATED EVERYTIME THINGS DONT TURN OUT THE WAY I PLANNED IT. BUT NOW I TRY TO CALM DOWN AND JUST THINK THAT IF ONE THING DIDNT PUSH THRU PERHAPS ITS NOT MEANT TO BE AND GOD HAS BETTER PLANS. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR THOUGHTS DEAN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN talaga sir tristan! So ang sabi ko naman sa sarili ko and still learning to say it ALWAYS..."Thy will be done". kasi alam natin mas maganda "way" na gusto NYA.

    ReplyDelete