Sunday, May 17, 2015

DILEMMA: Mahal Ko o Mahal Ako?






I delivered my final lecture for the semester yesterday, and one of the topics I discussed was the concept of dilemma. So what is a dilemma you might ask?

A dilemma is a situation wherein you are confronted by two things that are of equal importance, such that choosing one will be at the expense of the other, and vice versa. And so I asked my students to give me an example.

One student blurted out an intriguing one: mahal ko o mahal ako.

The class suddenly became more alive from then on (and that included me). In my experience, whenever a topic touches on the concept of love, my students appear to be energized and muy interesado.

Now let me give you my two cents worth about this dilemma.



MAHAL AKO

Choosing the person who loves you is a surefire way of getting all the love and attention that you desperately need. Wow, expect to be treated like royalty – like a prince or a princess. After all, the person who loves you must be willing to risk life and limb in order to make you happy.

Expect to be cared for like a baby, with the person at your beck and call, ready to fulfill any wish of yours in a your wish is my command tactic.

But the question is: can you reciprocate or give back the love?

Isn’t it unfair since love is supposed to be a two way street?



MAHAL KO 

Choosing the person you love is a guaranteed way of making yourself happy and getting all the inspiration you need, since yes, you are with the person you love – the man or woman of your dreams. 

Expect fireworks every time you wake up in the morning knowing that another day will be spent with him or her.

And with all the inspiration lifting up your heart and soul, you always feel like walking on air. 

And now the question: until when will you be happy and inspired when the other person is not giving back the love you are unselfishly giving? 

Will you not get tired of unrequited love?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


My take on this matter is that nothing could ever beat the feeling of being able to show how much you love another person. Opportunity knocks but once – fight for it and leave no stone unturned.


Your love could be unreciprocated. 


But love after all is a sacrifice and unconditional…….


If it’s not meant to be then so be it. 


It’s better to have fought for your love, than never to have fought for it at all.




No comments:

Post a Comment